I spent this last week getting my computer fixed and figuring out how to made an Ashley (my second one) into a fishing cabin. I know this isn't the best dollhouse to make into a fishing cabin (because with all the trim, decorated windows, etc) but I do enjoy kit-bashing. It's not all that hard nor time consuming and turning out pretty much like I planned.
The picture on the left shows how the front of the Ashley should look if no alterations are made. The second picture shows my first major change. I didn't want the large dormer window so I never bothered to punch it out. I applied a thin line of glue along the punch-out lines for re-enforcement and then added spackle ( for no particular reason). Since this will be shingled, I didn't need to sand very much. On the other side, there were very faint punch-out lines but with a little spackle and sanding, they all disappeared. So far, so good.
Next came the front. I shortened up the two larger windows and did not punch out the narrow windows next to the door. I will be making my own "glass" because the imprint on the windows is a little too fancy for a fishing cabin. I have saved some heavy clear plastic that I will be adding quilling paper to for the individual panes.. This clear plastic is usually found on boxed greeting cards and is perfect for any miniature needing a glass element, like a table top or maybe a backyard pond. I'll post pictures soon to show you how it turned out.
Meanwhile, I am planning my next step, which will be adding the two dormers and shingling the roof. This shingling is an interesting process so as soon as I take pictures, I'll be back.